I have a flair for the dramatic. I know - you're scratching your head and saying: No - really Rougie? But alas it's true. I am a drama queen. And while sometimes this is good and fun and results in a lot of happy happy joy joy, sometimes it ain't so pretty. And when it ain't so pretty there's a lot of "Oh woe is me" and "My life is a giant, steaming pile of rhinocerous crap" and "Dear Universe: could you heap any more shit on my shoulders because really, the current load feels a bit too light. And OH YEAH by the way Fuck. You. Too."
Recently, my drama has tended towards the negative and I hate how that leaves me feeling because for one thing - my life? Does not suck. Not in the slightest. In fact - my life is pretty fucking awesome most days if only I could remember that more often. Two? Compared to others, I have it pretty darn good. And while I don't want to play the Haiti card, I totally will (by the way your rock star delurking efforts generated $50 for Doctors Without Borders and and $50 for Partners in Health so yeah you awesome readers!). There are people without food and water and buried in rubble and I'm gonna get twitchy because something didn't go exactly my way? Sometimes I need perspective.
So today I'm throwing my Negative Nellie cloak off my shoulders and celebrating everything in this life that I love and that I have to be grateful for and that makes me smile and that makes me go SQUEE!!! Today: I'm dusting off my TITS list (thank you to Goddess Nen) because really, my life needs less shit and more TITS. So here it is. My list of things I think are totally the TITS:
* Spending time with my 4yo nephew. Especially when he's serenading me with "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (oh how true young lad) and "I've Gotta Feeling."
* Traveling. Last week was NY. Miami with my BFF shortly and then Chicago with some exceptionally bedaucherous bitches. And while I may grouse about how much money I'm spending or OMG looking for parking at the airport, I love that I can afford to do what I'm doing. And I'm having a helluva a lot of fun doing it!
* I don't know why but I've been on a HUGE Malbec kick as of late. Lucky for me the local bakery & cafe keeps an affordable Malbec in stock.
* Work. Yes work is the TITS these days. And while I will never ever ever ever ever ever in a million years talk about work publicly, I will let y'all know that it's going well, I seem to be legitimately earning my keep, and I love my job more than ever.
* My Christmas present to me: an awesome gold satchel from Coach. It's been a while since I've splurged on anything significant but I had a 1-time 40% discount and I decided to treat myself. This bag? Never leaving my side.
* Guinness. In all forms. I especially appreciate $2 pints on Thursdays at Fox and Hound. Also? At 34 I've just been introduced to Irish Car Bombs. Excuse me while I try to relive my 20s in the next 6 months before I hit 35 and I officially have to grow up.
* I was pretty anti-crockpot for a long time but then Modern Matriarch made them seem so sexy and then Wal-Mart had one on sale for $17 and then all of a sudden I was making the world's best chili while barely lifting a finger and then BAM! I was converted.
* Daniel Craig as James Bond. Ok - so the rest of you knew. I didn't. Now I do. Let's move on - shall we?
* Books. I know - right? Who gets giddy over books but the truth of the matter is, I was once a voracious reader and now I'm lucky if I get through 5 books a year. I just don't have the time. But all this traveling has given me some much needed time to catch up on my reading and I am loving it. I recently read Die For You by Lisa Unger and Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay and loved them both. Sarah's Key I found especially moving and while it's grim subject matter (A French round up of over 4000 Jews including 2000+ children in July 1942 during the Holocaust called the Vel d'Hiver), I highly recommend it. I am currently charging through Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout because hey - we all need to read a Pulitzer prize winning novel every once and a while.
* Pretty dresses on Modcloth like this and this and this. My only problem is that most of the dresses are sized S, M, L and I'm at that stage where small is too small and medium is too big and so I wind up coveting and coveting and coveting but never actually buying. Sigh.
* My occasional ability to be humble and my willingness to acknowledge that sometimes I don't know it all and/or yes - I need help. Please.
* My Thank God I'm Fabulous flask (thanks Lilsaej!).
* Sometimes I am having one of *those* days and then I click over to my Google Reader and I see that The Bloggess has posted about wrapping a cat or she's creating a scandal of sorts on the Internet and I inevitably laugh my ass off and forget about everything else for a few precious minutes.
* My tiaras.
* This tutu which I am totally going to buy because 1) OMFG it's awesome and 2) It's so purdy and 3) When I forced The Kaiser onto Twitter, I said I would buy it if he could get 10 legitimate followers in a day. He did and so now I get a pretty dress. Total win-win.
* New bloggers. My friend Cindy (who I've never actually met IRL but you know - that's par for the course these days) leads a truly fascinating life (she and her husband are in a perpetual state of travel - it's kind of awesome) and she finally took the plunge and is chronicling her adventures in Thoughts of Ciel.
* It's Girl Scout cookie time and I am relieved because the "In Case of Emergency" box of Thin Mints I usually keep in my freezer is gone and I really need a cookie. Even better? Operation Sweet Treat which means I can buy a lot of boxes of cookies, support the local Girl Scouts, but then send those cookies off to soliders overseas who will appreciate them a lot more than my ass.
* We have 41 days until Daylight Savings starts. Or ends. I can never keep it straight. Whatever. My point is the days are already noticeably longer and I'm loving it.
* Finding out that people I
kind of have a crush on respect and admire don't think I'm a total loser also respect and admire me.
* I am on some kind of old movie kick recently and Turner Classic Movies has been delivering the goods WITHOUT commercial interruption (take notes ACM). There was the Hitchcock/Thin Man Marathon on New Years Eve. There's been a lot of Bogey. A dash of Audrey. I've currently got about 6 or 7 movies Tivoed that I need to watch including Philadelphia Story, The Big Sleep, Arsenic and Old Lace, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Barefoot in the Park.
* I've already told you all about some of the incredibly awesome people in my life. I won't bore you to tears by once again singing their praises, but my friends totally, totally rock and I give them lots of credit for
putting up with my crap keeping me sane.
* My parents are incredible. I think my mom might be the coolest chick ever and dad? Well dad is a mentor, an inspiration, occasionally a pimp and a huge reason why I don't ever want to publish a crappy post.
* Chez Rougie. Yes. Starting off a new year and a new chapter in my life with a new blog has been nothing short of TITStacular!
What about you? What's on your TITS list these days?